Friday, February 4, 2011

Traveling, Oh So Much Fun.


I am a technologically challenge person. My brothers are the ones who do all my updates and fix my computer if I ever need it. So thankful I have nice brothers who happen to be smart! (Compliments to Mom and Dad)

So knowing this, I cannot for the life of me seem to get on the internet. I tried in Washington, D.C. and now in Munich but I just can’t. There’s just so much I want to write in my blog that I decided I am typing this in a Word document and then post it later when I figure out the internet here in Europe. Mental Note: I need to find a replace tech for my technology needs while I’m here.

So I started my Monday packing and finishing writing notes to people. It basically took me all day and I even had to get vacuum-pack bags but they don’t require a vacuum. Chantelle, you know the name. You can just roll them and they worked great! That night I went to Chantelle’s and got a scale to weigh my stuff. 44.8lb and 37.2lbs. I was ecstatic! I fit all my stuff and it weighed less than 50lbs. So that was good. And I fit Friendship Bear in there too. So I went and said goodbye to the UNC girls and Matt and Tyler. Bed time at 1:00 a.m.

Tuesday. We were supposed to leave at 6, but we ended up leaving at 6:40. I was running a little late. When we got to the airport, Lufthansa wasn’t open yet to check my bags. A minor detail in the grand scheme of things. I got Dollars exchanged to Euros and said goodbye to Zach (and ruined my makeup in the process) and finally Lufthansa was there to check my bags. I got up to put them on the scale thing and they said “Is this for the 5 o’clock flight?” Ummmmm, no. First off, why would I be checking my bags at 8:30 a.m. for a 6 p.m. flight?!?! Who gets to the airport that early? Second off, why is that the only flight you said? Come to find out, United was operating Lufthansa’s flights to Washington, D.C. and Munich. We run/walk (I don’t say run because we had so many bags but I also don’t say walk because I worked up a sweat!) to United to get my bags checked. The computer can’t find my flight and we have to have a lady come help us. Then we put my first bag on the scale.

SEVENTY POUNDS!!!!!!

Well damnit! I thought I had weighed these. Being the SMART blond I am I put the scale on the carpet and weighed my bags. I should have known when after weighing my bags the night before I weighed myself and it said I had miraculously lost 22lbs. Needless to say, total I was 24lbs over. So here we are, Mom, Dad and me taking things out of my bags and rearranging stuff. Finally we get enough stuff out to send the two bags along their way. The nice (no she really was nice, I’m not be sarcastic.) told us to go get another duffel bag and put a bunch of stuff in there and take the two carry on’s. That’s exactly what we do and I got just about everything I needed with me. I left my brown boots at home though so looks like I have some shopping to do in Graz!

@Mom: SO GLAD you had my get the duffel with wheels. It’s been amazing having that and it makes it easier. Not that it’s super easy with two heavy bags that aren’t even my checked ones but I really love the wheels.

After a tearful goodbye with Mom and Dad and the security checker asking me if I was okay (obviously I’m not, I’m crying. But it’s sweet of him to be concerned) I was off to my flight!
The flight to Washington, D.C. was pretty uneventful. I didn’t cry (yay!) and I ended up staying awake the whole time. There was a lot of turbulence but overall not a bad flight. When I got to the Dulles airport, I walked so much! They didn’t have those fast-walk thingys like at DIA and it took me forever to get to my gate. I am glad I brought a change of clothes because I got too hot in my other clothes. I took my first ever overnight international flight over the ocean and I didn’t freak out. I tried to sleep and I got some but not much. Thankfully I had 3 open seats right next to me and was able to stretch out.
Munich.

That was the strangest airport I have ever been to. No one was there. I got off my plane from D.C. and it was so weird to not see people. I was going down escalators and doors that I didn’t know they were doors until you got so close you thought you might run into the door but suddenly it automatically opened.  I had to go through security and everything again and there were a lot of people there, mostly businessmen with long coats and a briefcase. I’m not sure why I felt the need to tell you that, or why I am now writing this sentence but since this is my blog I’ll make my own rules! Once out of security, I got something to eat (a croissant but it was gross) and just hung out for a long time. I waited in the wrong gate seating area for a long time but since I was there so long, it didn’t matter. Here are the things I learned in Munich.
T
1. The bathrooms have strange toilets. When you flush, there isn’t a handle like normal, it’s up on the wall and you push it like a flat light switch. (Does everyone understand flat light switch instead of flipping light switch?)

2. You do not tear off paper towels after you wash your hands. The machine brings down a cloth-like material and you dry your hands and then it sucks the paper back up!

3. Escalators are sensor-triggered and start up right before you step on.

4. There is a special smoking room for people who wish to smoke at the airport

5. There is basically a mall where they sell clothes, jewelry, perfume, makeup, and so much more. You can enter to win a car there if anyone is looking?

After waiting for a few hours it was time to fly to Graz! I got to ride a small plane and had to be taken to the plane on a bus and then you get directly into the plane! It’s like when the Beatles first came to America and they stepped off the plan instead of going through a hallway thing. Yep, that’s what I did. I was so excited! I had bought water while waiting in the airport and realized when I got on the plane; I put it in the bag that was under the plane! I was terrified it would spill over all my stuff because of the altitude pressure. God heard from me a lot in that one hour plane ride but he listened and answered and thankfully none of my stuff got wet! The flight was very bumpy and I hadn’t taken any Dramamine and didn’t feel too great. The flight was a short hour and soon enough, I hoped off the plane, grabbed all 4 of my bags (you remember my bag adventure? Go back up and read it.) and met Kerstin, my buddy from the university at the airport!

I think that is good enough for now. Plenty of detail for those who want it or you can skim over it and enjoy the main parts. Although I’m not sure if you would be reading this if you skimmed, but oh well!

I’ll post pictures and another blog about my first days here. I’m gonna warn you, it won’t be the most cheerful blog ever. Tschüs (goodbye in German)!

3 comments:

  1. That's so exciting Sara! I got goosebumps reading this :D I'm excited that you made it there. Live it up for us in Austria!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wiedersehen. Hab eine gut zeit!
    (good bye. have a good time in German)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The small plane ride experience was a kick to read about! Of course watching you and Dad sort through the peanut butter, nyquil,dayquil, packages of clothes and shoes that were scattered over the airport floor was quite an experience too! emories!

    ReplyDelete