Sunday, February 13, 2011

I’m Livin’ the “Party Starts at Midnight so Don’t Show Up Before 1am” Life.

Whew! What a whirlwind of an adventure this past week has been! I am trying to keep this blog up, but I’ve gotten busier (about time right?) and it’s harder to keep everything up to date. So here comes another long blog. Perhaps some fruit or veggies this time before we start? I don’t want to encourage obesity in America even more by telling you to grab the chips and cookies every time I have a week of events to fit into one blog. I mean really, there are 168 hours in a week, how can I fit that into a 300 word post?!? You’re about to find out. (This is so much longer than 300 words. It's 1,101. Count it. Winner gets a prize)

Tuesday-

My internet stopped working later in the evening on Monday and of course I freak out. It’s my only connection back home and I got so upset. I figured, “Of course my internet stops working. Why wouldn’t it?” So I decide I am going to go to home4students headquarters here in Graz and get it figured out the next day. When I get there, no one answers. So there I am, moping like a stray puppy begging for some food or a pat on the head when a girl walked by. I ask her where I could find Judith (the lady I am in correspondence with for all my housing woes) and she tells me Judith will be back soon. She tells me to come with her and use her internet. I gladly accept and start writing an email to Judith explaining my dilemma. The girl I met is named Marie and she is so sweet! I told her about Hafnerreigel and how bad it was and do you know what Marie did? She told me to come live with her! She lives in a double room and it was clean and very bright and open. Plus the dorms there, rather “accommodations” are so much better! I lay on the bed and it was 10 times better than my bed, almost as good as home. Then (yes there is MORE good news) she has a bible open on her desk! I ask her if she is Christian and she was. Well you all know me; I just burst out crying and tell her how happy I am I met her and how great she is. Judith comes back while we are talking and she goes with me to see her. Now, while Marie tried to get Judith to let me move in with her, Judith said there are no open rooms till April. I thought, “who cares, anywhere is better than Hafnerreigel!” So folks, in April I will be moving to a new student accommodation and it’s only 5 minutes away from campus! Hooray!

That night I went to the first international exchange student party. They happen every two weeks and they turn a diner into a bar. Almost everyone from my German class was there and it was a big party! I’ve been pretty shy and quiet mostly since I got here but Tuesday night I decided I was going to talk to anyone and everyone! Kerstin and her friend Julia were there as well and Julia bought me my first beer in Austria. It’s the most popular beer in Austria called Gösser and it’s so good! I like it so much better than any beer I’ve ever had (not that I drink underage or illegally in America). I really just tried to talk to as many people as possible and just have fun. For the first time since getting here, I had fun the entire night and didn’t feel like crying! I got home and to bed before 2am, and had some blister to show the long walk back home. But regardless, I had fun.

Wednesday-

Everyone in German class was super tired! Some people didn’t even show up (those that decided they liked Gösser a little too much). Some people later that day decided we wanted to get the discounted train pass. In Austria, if you are under 26 you can buy a membership type deal where if you pay €19.90 you can get 50% off all train tickets if you are just traveling in Austria. Such a great deal! A trip and back to Vienna would pay off the price of the membership plus save you an extra €10. So we all took an adventure to the train station and I am now an official member of Austria’s Train Station (yes that is a technical term!). 

Thursday-

Went to German class (I’ve been going since it started. I don’t feel like I need to tell you every day that I am going to German class. Any complaints see me…oh wait, you can’t! J) and then went to lunch. There are a few restaurants that are all owned by the same person and some serve the same food but called different and some serve different food. It’s a really good place for college hang out and to get a lot of food at a good price. Ashley, Marco, Ryan, Cody and I all went for lunch and guess what I got? Pizza! (I know it’s a very Americanized thing to eat, well not technically since it’s from Italy, but still. It will be a staple food while I’m here) I also know none of you know who those people are but one day I will do a post dedicated to those I have met and hang out with here. We decided we would go out that night and so after being home for awhile and relaxing, we met up at Cody’s place (Anne came over too) and had some wine and beer. Actually I didn’t have any but others did. It’s still weird that I can order a beer or buy alcohol here when I can’t do it back home. That’s one thing I will miss about Europe. We went to a bar/club place and everyone told me that the last time they went it was packed and had a ton of fun. We were basically the only people in there and it was 11pm! (Maybe it’s not that late and I just like to go to bed early. But seriously, 11pm is LATE for Sara.) I also think we came on an odd night because all the DJ was playing was 80’s American music mixed with techno. A very, VERY strange combination. 

The night was a lot of fun. We took tons of pictures and danced and just hung out. Cody knew how to swing dance a little and took each of us girls out. It was just so much fun to let loose and hang out and drink good beer and listen to old but fun music. I had one small beer towards the end and this is what I have found out. Beer in Austria not only taste better (which is dangerous for me. Part of the reason I don’t drink more socially is because I don’t like the taste of alcohol) but it also has a higher alcohol content. After one small beer I felt tipsy! I guess I know not to drink more than a few beers while I am out.  That night I didn’t get home and into bed until 3am which is the latest I have ever stayed out in my life! I’ve stayed up until 3, but never out and about. It was a first but I know it won’t be the last. 

Friday-

After four hours of sleep, I had another busy day. German class of course and that afternoon we all went back to IKEA and to Interspar. Spar is basically Austria’s King Soopers but the size of Blockbuster. (unless of course you have some freaky huge blockbuster. Then scratch that analogy!) Interspar is the size of a normal King Soopers and just has a bigger variety of food. I found myself some salsa, cheddar cheese, tortillas, taco seasoning, and ground beef! Look out Graz, Sara will conquer your evil plan to keep me from my soul food! So that will be the next adventure I go on, Austrian Mexican food. Mmmmm, yum.
Friday night I was so tired that I just went to bed. I knew we would be going out the next day for my birthday and I needed sleep! So I went to bed at 10:30 and got the best 8 and ½ hours of sleep I’ve had since I got here. Praise God for allowing me that. I’m discovering sleep helps with the culture shock. Crazy right? Don’t everyone gasp at once!

So this is where I leave you. My birthday post will be, and quite honestly deserves to be, it’s own post (Yeah that sounded snotty. I’m allowed once in a blue moon). I mean, you only turn 20 once. Unless you believe in reincarnation (which I don’t) and then you can turn 20 lots of times (but I don’t believe in it so it doesn’t matter). 

Goodnight Graz,
Sara

P.S. In a reference to an early post. When I went to Flo’s house with Kerstin to have coffee and tiramisu with Flo and his roommate, I didn’t remember his name. So for all who were wondering (and for Flo and “the roommate”) his name is Christian. However, due the fact that he has been dubbed “roommate” Christian will forever be known in my book (or rather my blog) as “The Roommate”. Congratulations. J

1 comment:

  1. Lol. Sara your posts keep on getting funnier and funnier. I got tired from reading everything you were doing! Glad to know you are conquering Austria....well parts of it :) And good luck with you tacos! ha ha. Let us know how they go!

    ReplyDelete