Monday, February 14, 2011

Birthday Bash

...despite the fact I turned 20 on Saturday, I partied like I turned 21. Now for all the adults reading this, DON'T STOP! You aren't about to read something that you wish you hadn't or think I've turned into a party girl I promise. Nor do I mind sharing this with future employers (you know how you're not supposed to post anything without thinking about that). So here's the rundown of my day.

Graz is super big on farmers markets. On Saturday, Ashley, Marco, Cody and I went around 10:30 to one of the closer markets and it was great! There was fresh fruit, veggies, flowers, cakes and pastries, bread, jams, honey, meat. Just anything and everything you could think of we found there. My new plan is to go as often as I can and get my produce from the farmers market. I got 5 apples for one euro! Which would cost a lot more back home. I also tried my first kapfrel. It's a doughnut sort of pastry with marmalade in the middle. It was actually pretty good.

After a stop at a cafe for something warm to drink, I was able to get some laundry done and relax for a bit. Later in the afternoon, we all got together again to eat some bratwurst from the market and some Austrian bread. Austrian bread is a very dark bread but has a lot of nutrients in it. Let me tell you, it was delicious. I absolutely loved it. Cody had gotten some freshly made marmalade from the market and together, it was heaven.

I was able to skype home with Mom and Dad in the morning and that evening was able to talk to Zach. It was just really great to talk to people from  home on my birthday and made it so much better. I will never get to say that I had my birthday in Austria again.


Side Note 1: It was also great to talk to Zach for so long since it was our 3 year anniversary. Yeah, that is a super long time!

Saturday night we headed back to Cody's for a pre-party before going out. So many people were there! Almost everyone from my German class plus Kerstin, Flo, and their friend Marcus and even people I didn't know. It was a party for sure. Cody, Marco and Ashley surprised me with some homemade tiramisu and chocolates and champagne. Flo and Kerstin gave me some chocolate, a fun drink, and an Austrian guidebook. (I can't wait to start reading the book, it has some fun stuff from the look of it) It was just really so sweet. I have known these people for less than 2 weeks and here they are throwing me a birthday party. It was just really touching. Together we went to a bar and played pool and socialized. Since we know, well not all but some know, just how much I suck at pool I mostly socialized. I tried my second kind of German beer but I can't remember what it is called (not because I drank a lot, just because it's a hard name to remember!). Most of us decided it was either time to head home or go to the club. What do I decide...to go to my first ever club.

I am a terrible dancer. It's great that Zach is too because we don't make each other feel bad, we just dance awful together (sorry Zach but you know it's true. Don't take offense). But this isn't some country, line dance club. It's a full on, smokey room, hip hop, dirty club. There was beet all over the floor, people were smoking pot and crazily dressed (or should I say half way dressed) and the music was so loud I could hardly hear anyone. There was some erotic dancing and I didn't stay long. It was great to experience a club because I've always wondered if I'd like them. It's safe to say I am not a clubbing person. Especially when you get home at 4am and your skin reeks of smoke.

I had so much fun though. It was great to go out with new friends and just really party. Although it did feel like I was celebrating my 21st birthday, it was such a fun and unexpected night. I really am learning just how open and nice people in Austria are and those who study abroad. I loved all my birthday emails and messages. So a huge thank you to everyone for making my special day that much more special! :)

Can you believe how short of a post this is compared to the others?! (Don't try to scroll down, there really isn't more to read. No I'm not joking, THIS IS the end of the post)

Next weekend I am off to Budapest, Hungary with the biggest group of people ever! It's like the exchange students are taking over Budapest, so those Hungarians better watch out! Keep your eyes out for new posts about my adventures and as always, thanks for reading.

Officially past her teenage years,
Sara

3 comments: