I woke up Thursday morning and was starving! I got myself a big bowl of cereal and strawberries and took my first bite. While the cereal tasted fine, my stomach was not having it and yet again, I couldn't eat. This whole jet lag business is really irritating me at this point.I just get ready to go and meet Kerstin downstairs (actually she came and knocked on my door, I was running late). We left for my orientation session for the German Language Class I am taking in February. We stopped by a pharmacy and got some herbal medicine that helps with upset stomachs. It was pretty nasty tasting but it helped my stomach. I got to my orientation only 5 minutes and the session only took about 15 minutes. I paid €150.00 for the class and Kerstin and I were off to do more errands.
We went to the headquarters of home4students to get my internet set up. We also asked if there was a different place for me to move to. Although I couldn't move buildings, there was an open room in a suite that had three girls and one guy. Hooray!!!! I signed up for that room right away. My internet was also going to be set up within 24 hours. That was a huge relief. We also went to try a get a document signed that the bank needed but realized we needed a signature from the housing people so no bank account yet. Kerstin showed me around the city more and where some of the fun shops are. We also took an old phone of Kerstin's roommate and got it unlocked (which I'm not sure if it is totally legal but it was cheaper than buying a new phone) and got a sim card from the university. I also got a student discount card. Kerstin invited me to her house for the night. Her roommate, Anna, was having a goodbye/birthday party (she's moving to London) and told me I could sleep at her house for the night. I gladly accepted. I needed a good night's rest and I could also meet new people.
I went back to my dorm (getting lost in the process) by myself and took a nap. I got my stuff packed up so that we could move it the next day and packed my bags for the night. I then left for Kerstin's house (getting lost again).
Disclaimer 1: I am a directionally challenged person. Without my Colorado mountains, I have no idea which direction I am going or where things are in relation to others. It takes me a long time to learn the way to new places. Most of the time I am too busy looking around to really focus on where I am going.
Side-note 1: In Graz, it is TOTALLY safe for anyone, girls included, to walk around at night alone. It is a very safe city. I, however, am not comfortable with this yet and so for me to go to Kerstin's as it started to get dark was very frightening for me.
On my way to Kerstin's, I could not find the tram station near my dorm. I ended up just walking to the central station in Graz, Jakominiplatz. I had to ask several people (super great that people here are so friendly and they speak English) how to get there but it only took me about 10 minutes to get there. Everything here is so close you can just walk. I finally get to Jakominiplatz and get on tram 1 to Kerstin's. She meets me at the station and we go to her flat.
Kerstin has been a HUGE blessing to me here. She has really taken me under her wing and helped me with everything and been so kind. She let me use her laptop and I was able to skype with Zach (and I cried) and I read emails (and cried) and got on facebook (and cried) and really just cried a lot. Around 8 that night, I went out of Kerstin's room and met everyone. I meet a bunch of people who were so nice. I also met Flo (more to come!) and ate food. They have good pizza here in Graz so if all else fails, I will just eat pizza the entire time I am here. I had either 3 or 4 pieces (which for those of you who have seen me eat, which I think is all of you unless some creeper who I don't know is reading this. And if you are, GET OFF NOW. Like I said, I don't need at stage 5 clinger). After trying some orange vodka drink and wine and learning "brost" which means cheers, I went back into the room I would sleep in for the night and was able to talk to the UNC girls (minus Jayme) and Zach again (and cried again). Finally exhausted from sleep deprivation and emotional outbursts, I went to bed and got the best night sleep I had in the past few nights.
That marks the end of my second day in Graz.
News Special: Dahmane
So Thursday before I left for Kerstin's house, I saw Dahmane. He was my roommate in my old room and I told him I was moving out. He asked why and I told him I didn't want to live with only guys. He wanted my number so we could hang out. So we exchanged numbers and I went on my way thinking nothing of it. That night, however, I got a long text telling how I am a "nice, sweet and polite person" and he "hopes we can be good friends". I also can "call him any time I need anything and he will be there right away". A little overboard but I just ignored it.
The next day (Friday) when I was in my German class, I got a call from him. Obviously I didn't answer nor did I call him back. I did send a message saying "thanks for the kind words. I'll let you know if I need anything." Innocent enough? That night, I got a "nighty-night" text telling me to sleep well and have good dreams. This is when I decide that it would be a good idea to not talk to him at all.
My mom tells me that I am just a "trusting" person which I know is her way of telling me I am being naive. SO AWESOME. I am a naive, American blond who has a creepy Algerian guy with her number trying to text her. I really am getting off to a great start in Austria.
Saturday Night: This is when I hit my limit. Dahmane has asked me to "please come to Switzerland with him, his friend and his friend's wife. Please reply soon." HELL TO THE NO! ( And Zach do not get upset. I just haven't talked to you since this happened so I am not keeping secrets. Obviously this is going on my freaking blog. Plus, you're the cutest!) And so I officially have an Algerian creeper who wants a romantic weekend in Switzerland. So much for being "trusting". If this continues, I will have to get mean. My first (and hopefully my last until Zach comes) encounter with a romantic interest here in Europe.
That's everything I have on Day 2. More to come, and I will catch up. As always, thanks all you reader for reading! I don't think my last two posts have been as funny as before so I will do my best to lighten the mood from here on out!
Chao,
Sara
AHAHAHAHAHA. You would have a foreign creeper already Sara! LOL. But good to know you are adjusting to things pretty well. Don't cry too much okay? Otherwise you'll spend al your money on tissues! Just remember that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.......i think. And fyi I have typed this THREE times now because i keep forgetting my google password and it returns to this page blank >.<" but oh well it's worth it ha ha. Keep it up girl! Miss you tons!
ReplyDelete