Yeah it's already been a week here. Grab some popcorn and chips and get yourself comfortable because I am going to sum up four days into one post. I just need to catch you all up on what I am doing and we have to do it now! So, got your food? Okay great here we go.
The last few days have been a blur. Obviously me and my emotional self have cried quite a bit still. I am going to be the mom that cries when her kids leave for school the first time, have their first sleepover, and graduate. So let's just pray my future husband is a very caring and patient man...and will buy me a lot of tissues.
Other than crying, I started my Intensive German Language class. I have about 25 classmates and we all don't speak German. There are people from South Africa, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Finland, USA, Canada, Malaysia, Korea, Australia, Portugal, and Brazil. So a really wide range of people. I just would have never expected to meet people from any of these countries but it is such a blessing to be able to learn more about them and their culture. I talk to just about everyone so it's really a lot of fun.
I went to IKEA on Friday with Kerstin and Flo. I got a mattress pad, a bath mat, towel, hangers and a plant! I haven't named her yet but she keeps me company and I love her already. So anyone want to put in for names make sure to comment after reading this! I have been trying to liven up my dorm and make it more friendly since everywhere else in my dorm is so awful. But I really love IKEA. It's cheap but everything is just so pretty that it makes me want to buy a house (with monopoly money because obviously I don't have enough to actually buy a house. I think I can pass it off as the real deal) and decorate it like crazy! There will be one going up in Denver fall of 2011. So perhaps I'll make a trip to Denver when I get back! Needless to say, IKEA made my day.
Side Note 1: I have been attempting to upload photos and video of the sites I've been to so far. And yet, nothing. I cannot seem to get them posted. (Just my luck right? I told you all I needed to find a replacement tech. Woher ist Fritz?) (I don't actually know anyone named Fritz. Shocking. I know. You would think I'd meet someone named that by now, I mean it's been A WEEK!) (Can you read my sarcasm?)
On Saturday, Kerstin took me to The Schlossberg, the big clock tower that Graz is famous for. It was absolutely beautiful. It was more green than I've seen in the entire city and the walk, while a bit uphill (and when I say a bit I mean a lot) the view was great. It's right by an old castle that is now closed but you can still walk around the grounds. If you google pictures of Graz, this is where all the photographers take the pictures because it looked exactly how I thought Graz would look. There were tons of people with snacks and lunches just sitting around enjoying the sun and the view. I took some pictures and some video but as I said in my side note, I can't seem to upload them. SO here are your options people, go to my facebook and check them out or email me and I will send you them! I don't want to send stuff people don't want but of course I want to share my adventures with you!
While on our way to The Schlossberg we stopped in another one of the main squares where there is a huge stone statue and a courtyard. There's also a big political office building where all the "important" people work. But the buildings here are so different. They are old and have that look of "1752 and King Whatsit rules over all the land" type stories. You know what I'm talking about right? Again I would show you but I can't get pictures up here. But I do love the buildings and how old they look and how you can tell the different periods they were built in depending on the architecture. It's just great.
Everything here is just so different from back home. There's not as much green in the city, everyone walks or uses the bus, it's busier, people smoke like crazy, and the city just has a difference pace to it. I realize that I will forever be a small-town girl and that's where I love it. Cities are fun but only for a little while.
Flo, the Italian from South Tyrol, Italy (although he likes to say he is Austrian except when it comes to soccer) invited Kerstin and I over for coffee on Sunday. He and his roommate made tiramisu and it was SO GOOD. The best I have ever had. They are from Italy so had better of been good, and it was. I will never like any other tiramisu after having theirs. It was fun to talk with them and have my first Austrian coffee. It was really strong but I liked it for the most part. Aparentally in America we have weak coffee. But I personally am content with my Dunkin' Donuts and Hazelnut creamer.
On Monday I went with Kerstin to some government office (but not the one that looks like it's from 1752 and King Whatsit rules over all the land) and got registered as a citizen. We then tried to go to the bank and get an account set up but we couldn't do that because we didn't make an appointment. How was I supposed to know I needed an appointment?? So, Thursday will be the day I get that all taken care of. Then I REALLY hope I will be done with paperwork for awhile.
I had my first orientation on Monday and we just went over general information. Things are finally starting to get rolling here and I am glad my days are getting busier and I'm not sitting at home. Although it does make it harder to blog and I know all you devoted readers just LOVE to read my blog every day. But in all honestly, thanks for reading. I quite enjoying writing all the adventures down to share with you.
That's pretty much it. Those have been my highlights over the past few days (the low points of course included more crying and tissues) and there are more to come. Remember I am not completely caught up with the day I am writing these so stay tuned for the next great post!
Adventure enthusiast,
Sara
p.s. An update on Dahmane. No word since the Switzerland double-date lover weekend text. Perhaps my silence has thrown off the trail of the Algerian hunter!!
Abbi. Name the plant Abbi.
ReplyDeleteI love reading this stuff :D That makes me happy that some of the pictures photographers take do exist! I'll have to take a peak of those pics on your fb. You should name the plant a German name......or after your dog ha ha. Well glad to know your foreign lover isn't pursuing you anymore. But hey bring back some of that coffee to the states if you can......although i'm not sure if you'll remember that six months for now lol. Can't wait to read the next one coming out! It's like waiting for burn notice episodes ha ha!
ReplyDelete