Thursday, July 21, 2011

When You Wish Upon a Star

Heini took Zach and me to the train station about an hour before our train so we could have enough time to grab some food and get orientated. The Munich train station is quite large. It was nice to have some time to get organized and plus, I got Starbucks!

The train to Füssen took us about two hours. Once we got there, we needed to get to the castles in one hour. Füssen is a small, small town. It’s almost like Estes Park, it survives because of tourists. The train station only had three platforms and it took us 10 minutes to walk to our hostel from the train and our hostel was near the center of town. Once we got to the hostel, we knew we needed to hurry. This hostel was unlike any other hostel I have ever stayed in. They wanted proof that I was the one who booked the hostel, they wanted to know how much my room was, and it just took them forever to get everything done. We were in a 4 person bedroom which was nice because less people = less noise. By the time we got into our room and put our bags down, it was already 2 (we were supposed to be at the castles to get our tickets at 2). I was really upset because I have always wanted to see these castles. Zach and I decided we would go there anyways if nothing more than to just see them. 

We took a bus to the place and walked over the ticket counter. I had no hope that our tickets would still be there 40 minutes after our pick-up time. I think God knew how much I wanted to see these castles because there they were….our tickets!! We had to hurry to our tour time which was at 3:00pm but we made it. The first castle was Hohenschwangau. It’s named after the knights that once ruled over the land and lived in the castle, but died out years earlier. King Maximillion (King Ludwig I’s son and King Ludwig II’s father) found the castle while out hunting and restored it. It was King Ludwig II’s home when he was small. 












Zach and I then went to see Marionette’s Bridge. It’s this tiny, wooden bridge connecting two of the Alp’s mountains and underneath is rapids. From the bridge, you have an amazing view of Neuschwanstein. It was picturesque and really does look like the Disney castle. I was blown away by how grand it was. This bridge must be where most of the pictures of this castle are taken. The bridge was packed though and I was a bit worried the wood would break and I would fall to my death into the rapids. Luckily for me, Zach and I got off the bridge and were on our way to the Disney look-alike!

















Pictures weren’t allowed in either of the castles but of course you could take pictures of the outside. Really the pictures speak for themselves of the beauty of this place. Southern Germany really is a paradise and I can see why so many people come here. It reminded both Zach and I a lot of the Rocky Mountains with how large the Alps were and the rivers and lakes. I never realized just how special Colorado’s mountains are.
We took a carriage ride down from the mountain (it’s what Rick Steve told us to do) and went to this fantastic Italian place for dinner. I got peppered pork chops and I must say, they were so good I could have had another serving! Chocolate ice cream for dessert and Zach and I were off to do some laundry, some internet surfing, and then bedtime for the European travelers. The next morning we had to get up at 6am in order to catch our train to Freiburg. 

What’s in Freiburg you may ask? The Black Forest!

Love, 
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment