Sunday, June 12, 2011

June Showers Bring May Flowers?

Oh wait, isn't it April showers? Not in Graz, it's been rainy almost every day here. Sure, it'll be sunny in the morning and in the early afternoon, but then it rains and sometimes rains the rest of the day and into the night. I have to say, as a bike as my main mode of transportation, it really sucks.

For example, Laura and I decided to go to the opera. My very first opera, in Europe. Sounds exotic (to me anyways). I got all dressed up and decided to walk. I don't think wearing a dress and riding a bike is a good idea. It looked a bit stormy outside but I figured I was fine. I only had a light cardigan with me because up to this point I just refused to buy an umbrella. As I started walking I just told God that if he held the rain until I got to the opera house, he could let it pour as much as he wanted!

I was trying to hurry and the cross walk ahead of me was about to turn red but I didn't want to run in my dress. I told myself that if God had held up the rain this long, he would keep it that way until I got to the opera house. Bad, bad thought. Right after I thought this little drops started to hit me and before you know it, I am under a tree with my cardigan as my umbrella trying to decide if I should make a run for it or not. Eventually I just do it and arrive to the opera half wet and covered in mud.

The opera was fun. It was a beautiful building! I am so glad I didn't leave Graz without going to an opera. The opera was Romeo and Juliet, in Italian with German subtitles. They had a digital screen at the top of the stage that said what was happening in the opera. Considering I know zero Italian and my German isn't super, it was a good thing I knew the story of Romeo and Juliet. Laura and I had coffee and just really enjoyed the atmosphere. There were two intermission though, which I thought was strange but perhaps that's normal for an opera.

Coffee

Inside the opera

Our fantastic seats!

Lovely Laura
This was our 20th attempt at taking a photo


The grand staircase!




 I also had my first girls night since being away from Colorado! It was just like a girls night at home, only with some new, but life-long friends. Ashley, Paula, Laura and I took over Paula's flat while Valtteri was gone to indulge in some chick-flick cinema. 

Ashley just kept taking pictures
South Africa, America, Finland



Ashley, Paula and I
We watched Life As We Know It and part of The Blind Side. We continued our girls night to the next night to finish up the Blind Side. The buns you see in the pictures are Paula's Finish buns called Pulla. They are to die for! I have the recipe and I'm bringing it home.

I have been studying a lot as always. I had my first final, my German written final this last Thursday. It went better than I thought it would (although I don't know my grade so I may have spoken too soon). We also took the time to exchange pictures! We had this huge picture exchange/dinner at Laura's place where she taught me how to make Bobotie, the South African dish that I love. It was fairly simple to do and it's so delicious. The picture exchange went well, it's where I got those girls night pictures and so many others to add to my Graz exchange experience.

John arrives tomorrow at 12:15! I have been working like a mad woman to get my studying done, my room clean and my suitcase packed that he will take home for me (thanks again John!). I've still made time for family dinners and park adventures, although with the rain it cuts the park time short. My time has been pretty taken up. I have 19 days left in Graz and I really can't believe it has gone so fast. Since Spain, my time here has sped up! But John coming is a trip I have been looking forward to for months. We are headed to Prague and Vienna so keep posted for those trips!

Love,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment