Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Springtime in Graz

Did you all realize that I have been here almost three months? And I still have another 3 months left, give or take a few days!

Tomorrow I leave for my three and one half week trip to London and Madrid. I fly to see Kate (one of my three best friends) in London and then I'll be leaving on the 19th of April to spend some time with Aunt Margret's friend, Paulette, in her home in Madrid until May 6th when I fly back to Graz. This is partially why I haven't written in my blog for so long; I've been getting ready for this trip! But life in Graz has been good. Since it's spring, the sun is shining and every day it gets warmer (except for today when I of course am washing all my jeans and it starts to rain. Shorts and rain do not mix. Ever.) I've spent a lot of time in the park and since I moved to my new student living, I've been riding my bike! I've saved over 20 euros with not buying a bus pass since I've become a dedicated biker. Everything is so close here and with biking, I get there in half the time the buses take.







Marco and I seem to be in a lot of these pictures...Sorry ladies! He's taken by Ashley! We've all had a blast just hanging out in the park and enjoying the sunshine.

Side Note: There are more pictures of other people at the park, but I'm not in those pictures. At the risk of sounding conceded, I would think you'd want to see pictures of me, not random people. I can, of course, put others up upon request (say please!)

On March 31st I moved into my new housing place! I share a room with a girl named Annalisa who is from Austria. So far she seems pretty nice except for the second night here...

****WARNING*** If you are eating something or just ate something and have a weak stomach, don't keep reading!

I got woken up at three o'clock in the morning to my roommate stumbling into the room and being EXTREMELY loud. It took me a few minutes to realize she was drunk! So I tried to go back to sleep and about ten minutes after she laid down, I hear her throwing up! She has leaned over her bed and is puking on the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now for someone who has never had to experience a roommate, this was not a great start. I gave her a trashcan, some paper towels, and cleaning spray and left the room for about ten minutes. When I came back, the lights were off so I just went back to bed. In the morning, my room smelled horrible and there was still a mess to clean up. I didn't care how loud I was while cleaning up her throw up. I did open a window and disinfect the entire room that day. Needless to say she was very apologetic and even played her piano for me (which was actually really awkward but it was a nice gesture.) Besides that we are getting along just great.



My classes have been going well. They are all actually really easy and I never have any homework or much reading. Anything I ever do have to read they provide so it's been great! I hope I can still have good study habits once I get back home!!

On Sunday our friends decided to have a barbeque! Ryan, the master chef here in Graz, marinated some meat (we're still not sure what kind it was) and make kabobs! Along with a green and fruit salad, we had ourselves a little party! It was so much fun to hang out and eat good food and feel like it was summer. Plus we did it on a Sunday when nothing else in Graz is ever open so it was perfect.





















Yesterday, Monday, all exchange students were invited to go meet the mayor at a reception and have dinner. How cool right?!? Well we got there and after waiting for half an hour, we were able to go inside. We did get to see the room that all the "important political people" sit in when they have their "big, important, political meetings" and there was even a "super secret hidden door" that we got to go through!



But alas, the MAYOR NEVER SHOWED UP! Apparently he was too busy to meet with us :( But there was still a free dinner right? WRONG! They did not expect so many people to show up and they had barely enough food for 50 people, let alone over 150. So Laura and I went out and grabbed a coffee and then I went home dinnerless and Graz mayor-less. What a sad night.

I also began my sugar diet. I am cutting out all sugar from my diet for awhile. I've become too addicted and am going cold turkey! Perhaps in a few weeks I will start up again. It was all the desserts in Paris that got me...

Keep me updated on how all your lives are going, since, you know, you hear all about mine! I'll be sure to write again soon. After all, don't you want to hear about London?!?!

London Bound,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment